The parish of Međugorje is located in the southern part of the region Brotnjo. The territory of southern Herzegovina, where Međugorje is located has a mild Mediterranean climate.
Međugorje is one of the most famous Catholic shrines in the world. Since 1981, it has become popular due to reports of apparitions oft he Virgin Mary, after which religious tourism started to develop. Ever since, this little town in Herzegovina has become, next to Sarajevo, one of the most visited tourist centers in Bosnia and Herzegovina; around one million tourists, mainly pilgrims visit Međugorje yearly.
Unlike the Marian shrine in Lourdes, France which has become a commercial paradise for its home caterersand hoteliers with six million pilgrims a year, the shrine of Our Lady of Međugorje has preserved it’s original appeal and it has become a place where piligrims seek peace in their faith. The center of all religious activity in the shrine of Our Lady Queen of Peace, as it is officialy called, is the Church of St. James located in the center of Međugorje.
During the Roman empire this area was a part oft he Narona district. There have been found remains of a late antic basilica. In historic documents Međugorje was first mentioned as an autonomous parish in 1599. The parish of Međugorje was institute din 1892 and dedicated to St.James, the patron of pilgrims. The present church of St. James was finalized in 1969. The original church was finalized in 1897 but after the first World War it wasn’t used for service because of its instability.
On top of Mt. Križevac the parishioners built a cross in 1933, in the memory of 1900 years of the passion of Christ, on which there is the inscription: To Jesus Christ , the Redeemer of human kind, as a sign of our faith, love and hope. After June 24th 1981 a different kind of history was written in Međugorje, when the apparitions of Gospa, the Virgin Mary began. Ever since, Međugorje started to develop rapidly, offering pilgrims all the necessary information and content during their stay in this world famous pilgrimage site.